Low Carb Lasagna
Just like the classic but only a third of the carbs—what’s not to love!
Zucchini: 2 Medium-Large
Kale: 1 bunch kale (I like to use Russian Hunger kale because it is a flat leaf)
Marinara sauce: 1 Cup (250 ml)
Mozzarella Cheese: 1 Cup (100 g), shredded, low moisture, part skim
Ricotta Cheese: 1 Cup (250 g), low moisture, part skim
Parmesan Cheese: 1/2 Cup (50 g), shredded
Turkey: 1 lb (500 g) ground, extra lean
Garlic: 2 cloves
Onion: 1/2 white onion
Oregano: 2-3 stems
Salt: 1 pinch
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Oil the bottom and sides of a baking dish with cooking spray or oil.
- In a pan cook ground turkey, garlic, onion until turkey is cooked through, set aside.
- In a bowl combine ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, and salt, stir until well combined, set aside.
- Lay a layer of zucchini sliced 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick on bottom of pan. Then lay a layer of kale on top of zucchini.
- Next spoon all the ground turkey on top of the kale. Then spread all the ricotta mixture on top.
- Spoon half the marinara sauce over the ricotta and sprinkle half the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Lay another layer of kale down, then a layer of zucchini slices.
- Pour remaining marinara sauce over the zucchini slices and sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes until cheese is melted and lasagna is bubbling. Allow to cool for 15 minutes or overnight.
- Slice into 6 servings and serve or refrigerate overnight.
Because the zucchini is 95% water, there will be some extra liquid at the bottom of the pan if you serve immediately. Much of it will be reabsorbed if you refrigerate overnight. Either way, it is delicious.
Nutrition Information: (serving size is 1 piece, recipe makes 6 servings)
Energy 330 Cal | Protein 30 g | Carbohydrate 12 g | Added Sugar 0 g |
Total Fat 18 g | Saturated Fat 6 g | Cholesterol 70 mg | Dietary Fibre 2 g | Sodium 500 mg